Whitewebbs Park is in the Green Belt in the Northern part of Enfield. It was part of the old Enfield Chase before the land was enclosed and owned as a private estates.
An enlightened Council purchased Whitewebbs for the people of Enfield in 1931 as open space. It consists of a large area of ancient woodland and an open parkland area formerly used as a public golf course. The golf course was closed in 2021 (more of that elsewhere) and has rapidly reverted to meadowland rich in animal and plant life. It is part of an arc of public space stretching from Forty Hall in the East to Hilly Fields to the South West. Together with these parks Whitewebbs offers a wide range of landscapes and biodiversity with walks to suit all ages, interests and inclinations. Eighty species of birds have been identified – buzzards, red kites, kestrels, kingfishers, mistle thrushes, woodpeckers, nuthatches ………………..
The park contains one of the abandoned loops of the New River, that wonder of early 17th Century engineering. The path of the waterway is clearly visible and following this piece of industrial archaeology makes for an interesting and rewarding walk of exploration.
There is parking in Beggars Hollow with a small cafe and toilets hard by. For more substantial meals there is the carvery in Whitewebbs House and several pubs close by – The Rose and Crown, the King and Tinker, The Plough and Pied Bull.
This beautiful park is under threat – see here for more information